Just like with people, the purpose of an ultrasound is to aid in making a proper diagnosis and to get a really cool, rare look inside the body – in real time!
Why Does Our Vet Want an Ultrasound For My Cat or Dog?
Ultrasound is safe, quick and useful to reveal clues to many symptoms:
- Abnormal Bloodwork
- Urinary changes – ex.loss of bladder control and suspected bladder or kidney stones
- Chronic vomiting or Diarrhea
- Cardiac Concerns
- Reoccurring Infections or symptoms
- Pre or post surgical
- Opportunity for biopsy
Will it hurt and how long does it take?
Ultrasound is not painful and anesthesia is rarely needed however, if your pet is already uncomfortable we will do everything possible to be certain they are given lots of patience and ear rubs. We can usually get the images we need in less than 30 minutes. If you’d like to drop off early or pick-up later please call the front desk to make arrangements. If anesthesia is required we will advise you in advance.
How Does it Help Our Vet and Us Make The Best Decision About Care?
Ultrasound can be immeasurably helpful to prevent more serious issues when symptoms are diagnosed and managed early. Ultrasound can be a life-saving tool to your pet when we can identify issues quickly, effectively & efficiently pointing us towards surgery or non-invasive treatment.
What are the Common Diagnoses Revealed From Ultrasound?
- Lumps and Bumps – abdominal masses can be located & explored before any surgery is recommended. Ultrasounds aids us in the decision for surgery or other treatment, allowing your pet the best chance of survival.
- Pregnancy – There is nothing more delightful than to see a tummy full of babies. Ultrasound allows us to see how many babies to expect.
- Foreign Objects – We find all kinds of strange objects that pets have ingested. Finding pantyhose inside a body that’s normally worn outside can be very dangerous to your pet. Please guard your pets the best you can from being tempted to eat things they shouldn’t.
- Urinary related problems – if bloodwork reveals abnormalities ultrasound allows us to see inside for a better look at the root issues & assist in future treatments.